- mode mode [məʊd ǁ moʊd] noun1. [countable] a way or means of doing something:mode of
• susbsidies that support environmentally-friendly modes of transport such as cycling
• traditionalmodes of communicationˌmode of ˈpayment modes of payment PLURALFORMa particular way of paying for something; = method of payment2. [countable, uncountable] the way in which a machine operates when it is doing a particular job:
• When put in playback mode, the machine reproduces the actions previously performed by the operator.3. [singular] STATISTICS the number that appears most often in a set of numbers
* * *The more frequently occurring value within a set of values.
* * *mode UK US /məʊd/ noun► [C] a way of doing something: mode of transportation/locomotion/production »
The bicycle is still a crucial mode of transportation within Beijing.»
Fax was our main mode of communication until email came along.► [C or U] one of several ways that a machine or device operates: »
Do you leave your computer in standby mode overnight?»
New electro-hydraulic brakes include the usual automatic and manual modes.► [U] a person's or organization's condition or way of behaving at a particular time, because of the situation they are in: in emergency/crisis mode »
When you are managing a business in crisis mode, you have to take tough decisions.in attack/defensive mode »
If stakeholders are seen as adversaries, this puts the organization in defensive mode.»
growth/expansion mode► [S] the number or value which appears most often in a particular set: »
The survey results are based on calculation of the mode for each question.
Financial and business terms. 2012.